MPEGStream Clip is a great tool and reads almost anything, great for cropping and trimming clips really fast, but the encoders built in are all software based. On the other hand, it is a piece of versatile multimedia software which can also play, edit, download online videos and even transcode DVD movies to many formats. Meanwhile, some common problems are asked for solutions. Here, we will focus on “can’t rip DVD with MPEG Streamclip” error, listing causes and solutions for fixing this problem. Also, the best MPEG Streamclip alternative is introduced for ripping any DVD efficiently.
“Can’t Rip DVD with MEPG Streamclip” Commen issues and Fixes
Reason 1. DVD is Commercially Copy-protected.
MPEG Streamclip has no ability to bypass copy protections of commercial DVDs. If you can’t rip DVD with MPEG Streamclip, please check if your DVD is encrypted at first.
Solution: Use a DVD decrypter to remove copy protection and then rip DVD with MPEG Streamclip.
Cause 1. Lack of QuickTime MPEG-2 Encoder.
DVD video (VOB) is based on MPEG program stream which can contain MPEG 2 video and audio. In order to open, edit or convert .vob file, MPEG2 codec is necessary.
• Download Apple QuickTime 7 on your computer as well as install MPEG-2 playback component (priced at $19.99).
• Otherwise, choose the free KL QuickTime Alternative which includes MPEG-2 decoding so that you don’t need to buy MPEG-2 playback component for fixing MPEG Streamclip can’t rip DVD problem. It is recommended to download QuickTime Alternative 1.8.1 instead of the latest version which is not compatible with MPEG Streamclip.
Part 1: Ripping a DVD – MPEG Streamclip
DISCLAIMER: This information is to be used for academic purposes only under fair use guidelines. Click here for more information on copyright.
This process will allow you to extract the content and save it as a movie file. This requires the QuickTime MPEG2 decoder which is installed on the Multimedia Lab computers. Other computer’s will probably not have the decoder installed:
1. Insert DVD into the computer’s disc drive
2. Open MPEG Streamclip
3. Go to File > Open DVD
4. In the dialog that appears, click on your DVD in the lefthand column (under DEVICES)
5. Click OK and wait a second for the content to load into the program
6. Hit the Play button in MPEG Streamclip to preview, fast forward, etc. This is to verify your content was loaded into the program.
7. If you only want to rip a portion of the DVD: You may mark ‘in’ and ‘out’ points by moving your playhead to the points you want the footage to begin and end and hitting ‘i’ and ‘o’ on the keyboard.
8. When you are ready to copy the DVD, go to File > Export. You can export as a Quicktime .mov file by clicking Export to Quicktime.
9. If you know what you are doing, you can change the settings in the dialog box. Otherwise, just click Make Movie at the bottom.
10. Give the file a descriptive name and save it to your folder on the User Drive. Click Save.
Part 2: Best MPEG Streamclip Alternative For Ripping DVD Movies
MPEG Streamclip can well handle general DVD with QuickTime MPEG2 encoder but cannot rip copy-protected DVD properly even the encrypted has been removed, for example audio out of sync or no sound of output file. What’s more, MPEG Streamclip can only support Windows XP/Vista/7 and Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) to 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) without latest new systems, like Windows 10 and macOS Sierra. If you try to rip any DVD on any systems with no trouble at all, we suggest you to get a MPEG Streamclip alternative.
Some Windows users might prefer this Pavtube BDMagic, which is more easy-to-use and offers some unbeatable features like DVD conversion and customized output settings for iPod, iPhone, PSP, iMovie and more. Plus, it supports more DVD to video formats than MPEG Streamclip like WMV, AVI, AVCHD MTS, MKV, etc. Meanwhile, simple clicks and video editing features are available. For example you can trim a short clip out of original movie content, crop unwanted black bars at the top and bottom of BD/DVD movie scene, or merge several titles/chapters and save into one file. You can alos adding watermarks into movie clip as copyright, splitting whole movie into several segments, attaching external subtitle files into movie, adding effects, etc. Read the review.
- Break various DVD encryption including Region, RCE, CSS, CPRM, UOP, AACS, etc.
- 1:1 backup DVD in original video structure and video quality.
- Directly copy DVD main title to VOB file.
- Convert DVD disc, DVD ISO/IFO, DVD Folder to H.265/HEVC MP4, m3u8, mp4, mov, m4v, avi, mkv, flv, etc.
- This Blu-ray Ripper could rip Blu-rays and DVDs to popular audio and video formats for you to enjoy the movie on PC and wide screen TV. Support output to PS4, Apple TV, WD TV player, Xbox, iPad Pro, iPhone, iPod, Galaxy Tab, Nexus, etc.
- Trim and crop DVD videos so that you can upload the clips to YouTube, Vimeo and other sharing sites.
- Split a whole DVD video to several segments and merge selected movie titles into one file.
- Select desired subtitles stream and audio track or copy and rip DVD with forced subtitle.
- Add text watermark to selected DVD video clip. You can either set parameters or drag the text on preview screen to set its location.
- The additional Full Disk Copy facility enables you to backup the whole contents from Blu-ray disc and DVD with original HD quality and directly copy format allows saving 100% intact M2TS/VOB main movie from Blu-ray/DVD Disc.
- The app supports CUDA acceleration in the availability of NVIDIA CUDA graphics card and adopts a redesigned GUI (Graphical User Interface), which is more user-friendly and in-style.
- More than 200 formats listed to ensure you can get the desired video and audio types, like m3u8, Prores, H.265 MKV, AVI, MP4, WMV, FLV, MPEG, MOV, RMVB, FLAC, AAC, AC3, AIFF, AMR, M4A, etc.
- Rip latest 2D/3D Blu-ray and DVD to 3D videos with ultrafast speed for true theater entertainment at home.
- You can adjust profile parameters, rename and save it for easy access to next conversion.
- Support latest Blu-ray/DVD discs and Supported Decrypt Blu-ray MKB61/MKB 62.
- Add SRT/ASS/SSA subtitles to your original DVD videos
- Adjust video/audio resolution, bitrate, frame rate, sample rate, codec, channel before copy and rip DVD.
Free Download and Trail Best MPEG Streamclip Alternative:
– Pavtube old official address: http://www.pavtube.cn/blu-ray-ripper/
– Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Pavtube-BDMagic/3000-7970_4-75922877.html
Note: Rip DVD using MPEG Streamclip on macOS High Sierra, Mac OS Sierra/El Capitan/Yosemite/Lion?
Guys, I have Quicktime 7 Pro on my Lion Mac Pro. I want to rip a DVD using MPEG Streamclip to use in FCP but I can’t seem to do it as I don’t have the MPEG2 Playback component installed. Should this component not have been included with with my FCP Studio package and with my Quicktime 7 Pro?
Here, Pavtube BDMagic for Mac is the most outstanding Mac alternative to MPEG Streamclip for DVD Ripping. The video app is anprofessional DVD Ripper, player, editor and fully compatible with all Mac OS X systems including macOS High Sierra, Mac OS Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion, etc. It is more easy-to-use and offers some unbeatable features like batch conversion and customized output settings for iPod, iPhone, iPad, Android, PSP, iMovie, FCP and more. That’s the reason why it can be seen as MPEG Streamclip alternative and is even much better than MPEG Streamclip.