A DVD ripper is a program that enables DVD fans to circumvent copy protection on their legally-purchased movie DVDs and then re-encode them in various digital video formats for backup on PC, playback on mobile, and other personal use. DVD ripping and copying are similar, yet very different. You see, both processes are used to get around content restrictions on DVDs so that the owners can manipulate the data however they like. However, each method is designed for a different function and uses different functions to complete the process of duplicating the data on the disc.
Copying a file is usually as simple as left clicking with your mouse and selecting Copy or hitting the Control and C keys on your keyboard. Common software such as Windows Media Player can copy and rip CDs, but with DVDs, the process is much more complicated.
You see, disc media has digital security features such as CCS encryption that keep people from making copies. These security features are intended to keep homemade copies of the movies on these discs from being sold or shared, which takes profits from the people who sell legal copies of DVDs.
Let’s look at each type of data-duplicating method more closely.
Copying a DVD is exactly what it sounds like. You use DVD copy software to remove the copying restrictions from the data and make an exact copy of the DVD on a new disc.
DVD ripping, on the other hand, doesn’t mean copying a DVD to a disc. It is the process of saving a file in another format, which allows you to use the data with different media players on smartphones, video iPads and other devices. DVD ripping changes the data and makes it more accessible to you by allowing you to download and play it on multiple devices.
What Do You Need to Rip or Copy DVDs?
Most DVD copy software can do the work of DVD ripping and copying. Though there are products called DVD rippers, most people will have more versatility when using copying software since it can save the data in various formats and make copies of the DVD in the original format. This software also has other features such as scratch and data repair, enhanced compression tools and the ability to merge data.
You can obtain free DVD copy software and free DVD rippers by looking for downloads on the internet, but free software is often inferior to name-brand copying and DVD ripping software.
Which is Legal?
The biggest question on your mind may be the legality of DVD ripping or copying. Technically, neither process is legal. In 1998, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) was created to protect the copyrights of the owners of digital media. According to the DMCA, it is illegal to “Circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.” The act also states, “No person shall, without the authority of the copyright owner or the law, intentionally remove or alter any copyright management information”.
What this means is that while making copies or ripping DVDs isn’t illegal, removing the security features is. Unfortunately, it is impossible to copy or rip a DVD without removing its security features. The only way to legally watch the contents of a DVD on another media player is to use the Universal Digital Copy that is now included with many new DVDs.
No matter what you may read in tech chat rooms, DVD ripping and copying are two completely different processes. While they both remove copying restrictions, each process is intended for using the DVD data differently.
The World No.1 DVD Copier, DVD Ripper, DVD Decrypter Recommended
There are far too many DVD ripper programs out there, and every vendor praises their own product. If you decide to turn your physical DVD movies to digital form but don’t know which ripper is better to take, as a veteran in DVD digitization, here, Pavtube BDMagic is highly recommend as the great DVD ripping tools I ever used. It can circumvent copy protection mechanisms, such as the encryption used on most commercial DVDs and shift format. Learn the key features of the best DVD copy and ripping software.
- Break various DVD encryption including Region, RCE, CSS, CPRM, UOP, AACS, etc.
- 1:1 backup DVD in original video structure and video quality.
- Directly copy DVD main title to VOB file.
- Convert DVD disc, DVD ISO/IFO, DVD Folder to h.265, m3u8, mp4, mov, m4v, avi, mkv, flv, etc.
- This Blu-ray Ripper could rip Blu-rays and DVDs to popular audio and video formats for you to enjoy the movie on PC and wide screen TV. Support output to PS4, Apple TV, WD TV player, Xbox, Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, iPod, Galaxy Tab, Nexus, etc.
- Trim and crop DVD videos so that you can upload the clips to YouTube, Vimeo and other sharing sites.
- Split a whole DVD video to several segments and merge selected movie titles into one file.
- Select desired subtitles stream and audio track or copy and rip DVD with forced subtitle.
- Add text watermark to selected DVD video clip. You can either set parameters or drag the text on preview screen to set its location.
- The additional Full Disk Copy facility enables you to backup the whole contents from Blu-ray disc and DVD with original HD quality and directly copy format allows saving 100% intact M2TS/VOB main movie from Blu-ray/DVD Disc.
- The app supports CUDA acceleration in the availability of NVIDIA CUDA graphics card and adopts a redesigned GUI (Graphical User Interface), which is more user-friendly and in-style.
- More than 200 formats listed to ensure you can get the desired video and audio types, like m3u8, Prores, H.265 MKV, AVI, MP4, WMV, FLV, MPEG, MOV, RMVB, FLAC, AAC, AC3, AIFF, AMR, M4A, etc.
- Rip latest 2D/3D Blu-ray and DVD to 3D videos with ultrafast speed for true theater entertainment at home.
- You can adjust profile parameters, rename and save it for easy access to next conversion.
- Support latest Blu-ray/DVD discs and Supported Decrypt Blu-ray MKB61.
- Add SRT/ASS/SSA subtitles to your original DVD videos
- Adjust video/audio resolution, bitrate, frame rate, sample rate, codec, channel before copy and rip DVD.
Free Download this Top DVD Copier and Ripper:
– Pavtube old official address: http://www.pavtube.cn/blu-ray-ripper/
– Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Pavtube-BDMagic/3000-7970_4-75922877.html
Caution: reselling or distributing the DVD Ripping movies on the internet or other platforms will be regarded as infringement act! Don’t do that, and just use them on your personal devices.